Open Source Platforms
Sources and Resources
- Update on Open Source Platforms - presented by Matt Howard on Jan 22, 2008, at TechColumbus - this page contains links to Matt's notes and workshop projects, as well as a wide variety of other sources of info and supplies.
- Matt Howard's Arduino projects for the Jan 22 2008 Open Source Platforms Workshop
- Basic definitions (Wikipedia)
- Bug labs - a commercial, extensible, "open source" hardware environment, announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Jan 2008 - build your own project - component by component.
- Fritzing - an open source platform for the physical prototyping of new design - "... in the spirit of Processing and Arduino."
Arduino - Open Source Platform
- Arduino home site
- YouTube Tutorials and demos (Canned search with dozens of project videos)
- Basic Arduino Intro (from Make Magazine) ~5 mins.
- Make Magazine Blog - Examples of Open Source Hardware Projects
- The uDuino (that is, "micro"-duino) - low(er) cost variation on the Arduino model - from instructables.com
Sources of components, parts, supplies
- Adafruit Industries
- SparkFun Electronics
- Modern Device Company
- More Arduino-acknowledged sources
- Compilation of Arduino-based projects and sources for purchase - Make Magazine
Examples of Commercial Open Source Hardware Products
- Neuros OSD (2008)
How can Hardware Be Open Source? Open Source Hardware License Agreements:
- TAPR Open Hardware License
- "Creative Commons-like License for Open Hardware" - Instructables.com forum discussion