[dorkbotlondon-blabber] open money/maps/secret undergroundlondon trips

Saul Albert dorkbotlondon-blabber@music.columbia.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:54:32 -0800

I should have responded earlier, but I was hoping to knock the wiki into
shape before publicising it further! Doh!

I shouldn't have done an opendork before I was truly ready, but I'm really
excited about the people who come to dorkbot, so I was sure there would be
people who would bring some *really* interesting angles on Cartography to
the Congress.

Here's the lowdown anyway, for those not willing to trudge through the
ever-more-convoluted and in-need-of-updating wiki.

What?
-=-=-=-

- The Cartographic Congress is a meeting of maps and map makers from every
corner of the cartographic universe. Mind maps, memory maps, information
visualisation, traditional cartography, meta-mapping, art-maps,
language-maps, maps unto infinity! They should all be represented and
discussed at the Congress.

When?
-=-=-=

6 slow-burning weeks from May 5th to June 15th 2003.

How?
-=-=-=

Rather than have a big snazzy event with all the associated stress and hype,
we thought we'd do a slow-burning 6 week food-oriented mapping orgy.

Over the 6 weeks the basic infrastructure will be 1 meal and 1 field trip
per week with interested and participating cartographers. The meals will be
organised ad-hoc to accommodate the cartographers for that week, and there
have already been some brilliant suggestions for field trips including some
ideas for urban subterranian exploration, visits to decomissioned listening
stations and small museum-sheds in Cornwall. One week of the congress is to
happen in Brstol in association with the Cube Cinema's 'Hidden Britain'
season.

Outside of that very basic structure, there will be maps and mapping
processes installed/initiated in and around Limehouse Town Hall (and
Bristol) and a meta-map of those maps printed-on-demand throughout the 6
weeks. There will be regular opportunities to have map tours of LTH and get
involved in the Congress.

Apart from that, individual projects, collaborations and displays of
cartographic activity are being planned by smaller cells of participants to
emerge, gloriously in time for the Congress... maybe your project should be
represented, or you have a wonderful idea for a field trip. The Cartographic
Congress would be a great place to bring that project and show it off and
develop it, so please get in touch about it.

Who?
-=-==

The invitation is on the wiki, if there's someone who should be invited,
invite them, and let us know about it. Simon Worthington from Mute and
myself (from Boxing Club) are doing the timetabling (and basic
infrastructure) but projects, field trips and meals are totally in the hands
of the participants. Do, however, get in touch so the schedule doesn't
meltdown (simon@metamute.com, saul@twenteenthcentury.com). If you want
annoucements, or have general questions to ask or answer, try the University
of Openness mailing list (uo@twenteenthcentury.com) which is linked to from
the wiki.

I hope that gives you all some idea of what is planned so far, I know what
an interesting bunch you dorkbotblabberers are, so if you're into it, let us
know.

What do we think of a cartographic theme / related activity to dorkbotlondon
June?

nice one for wednesday... great fun.

Saul.